Thursday, April 13, 2006

George Herbert's "The Sacrifice"


Anthony Esolen posted this today at the Mere Comments blog. It's a very good poem and by the author who wrote the poem from which the name of this blog comes.

....My cross I bear myself, until I faint:
Then Simon bears it for me by constraint,
The decreed burden of each mortal Saint:
Was ever grief like mine?

O all ye who pass by, behold and see:
Man stole the fruit, but I must climb the tree;
The tree of life to all, but only me:
Was ever grief like mine?....

Lo, here I hang, charged with a world of sin,
The greater world o' th' two; for that came in
By words, but this by sorrow I must win:
Was ever grief like mine?....

But, O my God, my God! why leav'st thou me,
The son, in whom thou dost delight to be?
My God, my God ----
Never was grief like mine.

From George Herbert, "The Sacrifice" (1633)

No comments: